gsLEAD for Emerging Leaders Class I Graduates
Feb 2, 2011
In September gsLEAD for Emerging Leaders was launched with a class of 10 gsSCENE members. gsLEAD is a six month 25 hour development program consisting of 18 hours of classroom training and seven hours of board observance/mentorship. Classes were held monthly on the 1st Tuesday of each month from September-February. All participants graduated from the program on February 1, 2011 at Prestwick Country Club.
After completing the gsLEAD program graduates will have the knowledge and skills to serve on various nonprofit boards, committees and councils along the Grand Strand. Throughout the 6 month program, participants were taught by Cookie Sprouse from Chapin Foundation and Jonathan Kresken from Waccamaw Community Foundation. Classes each also had featured speakers including; Edwin Hinds from The Bellamy Law Firm, Olivia Garren from United Way of Horry County, Bob Calliham from Smith, Sapp, Bookhout, Crumpler and Calliham, Ruell Hicks from Wells Fargo, Beattie Friday of Friday Fundraising Consulting Group and Amy Brennen from Georgetown Family YMCA.
The following topics will be covered throughout the program:
• Board Governance
• Financial Management and Stewardship
• Operational Planning and Evaluation
• Marketing and Public Relations
• Human Resources
• Choosing a Board
Participants also had to participate in observance of area nonprofit boards. The following boards allowed participation from the gsLEAD class; Chapin Foundation, Boys & Girls Club of Grand Strand, Horry County Council of Aging, Helping Hand of Myrtle Beach, Fostering Hope, Horry County Disabilities and Special Needs, Horry County Literacy Council, FSS Family Outreach, YMCA Coastal Carolina, Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, North Myrtle Beach Humane Society, Franklin G Burroughs-Simon B. Chapin Art Museum and American Red Cross.
Class I Graduates:
• Tracy Swinton Bailey- Freedom Readers, Inc.
• Dustin Formo, CPA- Elliott Davis, LLC
• Kristin Hargis- WMBF News
• Meredith Hart- WBTW News 13
• Jennifer K. Nichols- Watermark Real Estate Group
• Collier Schettig- BNC Bank
• Todd Setzer- A&I Fire & Water Restoration
• Jewell Marie Singleton- South Atlantic Bank
• Samantha Slapnik- Liberty Tax Service
• Gladys A. Velasco- Mercy Care